Posts for: June, 2015
We are expected to go above and beyond in our careers, take care of our families and friends, pay the protracted list of bills every month, plan ahead for our futures, deal with unanticipated circumstances, maintain relationships, conquer to-do lists, and somewhere in there have a little fun too. We are busy people! However, in order to sustain the lives we have created for ourselves, it is inordinately important that we are also healthy people. So add that to the list too: heed a healthy lifestyle.
For a lot of us, that is often easier said than done. A healthy lifestyle is made up of several basic components that alter in their specificity depending on age, sex, body type, weight, physical activity level, and other individual concerns. In order to promote this lifestyle, we must eat a nutritional and well balanced diet, exercise regularly, and be mindful of our emotional needs. So really, this is adding three things to the list. Don’t get overwhelmed though! You might be surprised to learn that little changes can make monumental differences. One little change you can make with very minimal effort is incorporating Juice Plus+ into your daily regiment.
According to their website, www.parker.juiceplus.com, which is filled with invaluable information, “Juice Plus+ is whole food based nutrition, including juice powder concentrates from 30 different fruits, vegetables and grains. Juice Plus+ helps bridge the gap between what you should eat and what you do eat every day. Not a multivitamin, medicine, treatment or cure for any disease, Juice Plus+ is made from quality ingredients carefully monitored from farm to capsule to provide natural nutrients your body needs to be at its best.” Juice Plus+ is a company that Parker Dentistry Facial Rejuvenation and Wellness fully stands behind and represents. Honi has been a Juice Plus+ representative for twenty-one years and is always willing to share her wealth of information regarding the product and how to get started.
What are the 30 Juice Plus+ fruits, vegetables, and grains that you could be ingesting daily in a matter of seconds and for a fraction of the cost of what you would spend in time and money to make sure all of those nutrition-bursting foods made in into your routine diet?
Apple, Acerola Cherry, Beet, Cranberry, Date, Orange, Pineapple, Papaya, Peach, Prune, Broccoli, Brown Rice Bran, Cabbage, Carrot, Garlic, Kale, Oat Bran, Parsley, Spinach, Tomato, Artichoke, Bilberry, Blackberry, Black Currant, Blueberry, Cocoa, Concord Grapes, Elderberry, Pomegranate, Raspberry
Looks like a juicy kaleidoscopic rainbow to me! Your body will thank you graciously. Surprisingly, it hasn’t been fully accepted that what you put into your body plays a significant role in your body’s ability to fight and prevent major health complications, such as heart disease, multiple types of cancer, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney stones, and bone loss among so many other types of maladies. Diet is dominant player in our overall health and wellbeing. It contributes to the health of our insides and outs. As serious as it is, it doesn’t have to be something that consumes you. It can be easy and Juice Plus+ can help make it a little easier.
Dr. Blake Parker has been taking Juice Plus+ for the past fifteen years. He said he truly realized the power of the product when he was a freshman living in the dorms at the University of Florida. During flu season, he was the only student out of the forty living on his same floor that didn’t have to miss any classes due to being sick. In the fifteen years that he has been taking Juice Plus+, he has only been sick once! With a background in nutrition, he also realizes the importance of these thirty fruits, vegetables, and grains that are rich in vitamins and antioxidants. While he is a health conscious eater and a pretty impressive chef, he knows he would never be able to fit all of those powerhouse foods into his everyday diet.
It’s when we don’t have our health that we realize how surely paramount it is. We are meant to do great things with our lives and greatness doesn’t typically happen when we are sick or not performing at our best. While some things are out of our control, your diet is something that you can make the conscious decision and effort to be active and present in what you put into your body. Remember, you only get one body, and Parker Wellness is here to help you learn how to take care of it.
Thanks for sharing a smile with us this week! Stay turned next week as we continue with nutrition as it relates to healthy gums and teeth
Don’t forget to answer the question of the month for June that was posted on our Facebook page this week.
Although we’ve made great strides over the last century making dental visits more pleasant and comfortable, many people still feel a little apprehension about them at one time or another. For a few, though, this apprehension escalates into high anxiety — so high they may even avoid important dental treatment altogether.
If you have a significant phobia regarding dental visits and treatment, here are some things you can do to reduce your anxiety and feel more comfortable when you undergo treatment.
Let us know about your feelings of anxiety. We’re conditioned by society to regard such fears as irrational or “silly,” and so we tend to hide our negative emotions. Dentists, however, have been trained to work with fearful patients to reduce their anxiety levels. Being honest with us about your fears and nervousness is the first step to developing an anxiety-reducing strategy that will make your visits more pleasant.
Counteract bad experiences with good. For most people the fear they have during dental visits stems from earlier unpleasant experiences at the dentist. The fear can be so ingrained that simply trying to convince yourself or to be told “there’s nothing to be afraid of” will have little to no effect. Instead, build a memory collection of positive and pleasant dental visit experiences that serve to counteract the unpleasant. To do this we might first get you acclimated to routine visits and then gradually transition to more invasive procedures. This may increase the normal time for dental treatment, but the reduction in anxiety is worth the extra time.
Consider sedation therapy. In addition to modifying your experiences, you may also benefit from sedation medications that reduce anxiety, especially in the early stages of treatment. Depending on your medical history and current status, we can prescribe a sedative for you to take an hour or so before your appointment to help you relax. We can also increase the level of anesthesia (from local to intravenous or gas anesthesia, for example) if your anxiety is especially acute.
Taking proactive steps to minimize dental visit anxiety will increase the probability that you’ll obtain needed dental care. Your teeth and gums will be healthier for it.
If you would like more information on coping with dental visit anxiety, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more about this topic by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Overcoming Dental Fear & Anxiety.”
What are antioxidants and what exactly do they do?What do beta-carotene, lutein, lycopene, selenium, vitamin A, C, and E all have in common? They are all antioxidants. Antioxidants play an important role in helping your body fight diseases and infections. They stop or reduce the damage to your cells caused by free radicals. Unfortunately, the oxygen that we need to survive also causes oxidation, which alters our body chemicals and in turn free radicals are produced. Free radicals also come from environmental factors such as pollution and cigarette smoke, among many other things. Our best bet is to ensure that our bodies are receiving a sufficient amount of antioxidants. This can be done through our diet and supplements, which I will discuss a little bit later.
How do antioxidants relate to oral health? Your mouth is a delicate place and a major gateway to the rest of your internal systems. Your saliva contains a great deal of antioxidants, which help fight bacteria and other noxious substances. The antioxidants found in your saliva also help reduce inflammation-causing proteins and aid in the healing process.
What are some possible oral health consequences of an antioxidant deficiency? Studies have shown that an insufficient level of salivary antioxidants can be linked to periodontal disease, oral cancer and oral cavities.
*For more in-depth and research-based information on antioxidants in the saliva and oral health, visit this informative dental website that I came across: www.dentalantioxidants.com
Where are antioxidants found, and how can we make sure we get enough of them?A primary player in our general health and overall wellbeing relates to diet. Antioxidants are found in quite a few fruits and vegetables, as well as some other foods, including nuts, legumes, and animal products. An easy way to ensure that you are consuming an antioxidant-rich diet on a daily basis is to simply eat your way over the rainbow. Let’s take a look at some rainbow-colored options!
RED: strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, pomegranates, cranberries, apples, watermelon, and grapefruit
ORANGE: carrots, cantaloupe, peaches, sweet potatoes, apricots, oranges, pumpkins, and papayas
YELLOW: mango, bell peppers, corn, squash, peanuts, eggs, and avocado
GREEN: kale, kiwi, spinach, peas, soybean, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and green tea
BLUE: Blueberries and blackberries
PURPLE: Grapes, eggplant, purple cabbage, and red wine
WHITE-ish: whole grains, almonds, sesame seeds, cauliflower, bran, barley, sunflower seeds, onion, and garlic
What are some other great benefits to eating an antioxidant sufficient diet?Antioxidants are our body’s super defenders! Not only do they help us maintain our oral health, but they also strengthen our immune system, slow down the aging process, and decrease the risk of heart disease, diabetes, certain types of cancer, and neurological disorders.
Are you having a hard time eating the rainbow?Let’s face it, not everyone is a vegetable and fruit addict, or maybe you just feel like you aren’t getting enough of a variety of antioxidant-rich foods. Juice Plus is a product that Parker Dentistry Facial Rejuvenation and Wellness completely endorses! In short, Juice Plus is a whole food based nutrition, composed of 30 different fruits, vegetables, and grains. Honi Parker is a Juice Plus representative and can share an abundance of valuable information with you pertaining to this incredible and life changing product. Just ask her!
Thanks for sharing a smile with us this week!
Check out Facebook for our first question of the month. Remember the reward is a $20 certificate to use toward Zoom Quick Pro, Sonicare, Zoom whitening products, or a Hydrafacial. You can either email your response to firstname.lastname@example.org or just tell Honi at your next appointment.
Stay turned next week for a more in-depth look at Juice Plus and a great recipe that is loaded with powerhouse antioxidants.
More than likely your child already receives fluoride from your drinking water or toothpaste. So, is it really necessary for them to receive topical fluoride during their regular office checkups?
We highly recommend they do. A naturally occurring chemical, fluoride has the ability to make enamel more resistant to acid attacks that lead to tooth decay. It’s most effective when it works its way into the structure of the enamel during early teeth development.
Both fluoridated drinking water and dietary fluoride supplements (recommended by a doctor or dentist) can be the vehicle for this to occur while the teeth are still forming in the jaw before eruption (when teeth become visible). After the teeth have erupted, fluoride applied directly to the enamel surface (topically) can become infused with it as it continues to develop during early growth.
But can’t fluoride toothpaste accomplish the same result? No — the fluoride added to toothpaste and other hygiene products is relatively low, and only strong enough to maintain and protect enamel. The fluoride levels in topical applications like gels, foam or varnishes are much higher (in the tens of thousands of parts per million) and remain in contact with the teeth during a treatment session for much longer. Some fluoride varnishes, in fact, will continue to leach fluoride into the tooth surface for a month or more.
Topical fluoride applications are especially beneficial for children who are growing up in an area without fluoridated drinking water or without the proper means for good oral care and hygiene. But even for children with access to fluoridated water and oral care, a topical application can still be helpful.
A topical fluoride treatment isn’t a stand-alone application, but a regular part of your child’s dental care of daily brushing and flossing and semi-annual dental cleanings and checkups. Topical fluoride enhances the care they already receive to help produce stronger enamel for future healthy teeth.
If you would like more information on topical fluoride applications, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more about this topic by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Topical Fluoride: How Fluoride will Benefit Your Child.”
We live in a world of perpetual growth where technology and medicine are in a constant state of advancement. We have no problem keeping up with and exceeding the pace car, and we do it all for you! We are far from ordinary and want to share with you why we are extraordinary.
- Cutting Edge Dentistry With the use of the newest CERAC CAD CAM for single appointment crown deliveries, the BioLase water laser for periodontal and soft tissue procedures, and a state of the art laboratory, at Parker Dentistry we pride ourselves on our ability to stay on the top of and utilize the most recent and revolutionary technologies to provide you with the highest quality dentistry available today.
- Gentle Touch=Least Amount of Discomfort=Happy Patients This is plain and simple and we do everything to uphold the reputation of providing the most pain free dentistry possible.
- Time Everyone’s time is equally valuable. Our practice is run around that truth. Efficiency and punctuality are two components of our mission to make your experience at our office easy and pleasant.
- Beautiful and Modern Facility When we moved and built out the office at our current location, it was important to create a space that was not only cutting edge and contemporary, but inviting and comfortable.
- Competent and Smiling Staff As our philosophy states, a smile makes a face, and a face makes a smile. we employ office managers, dental assistants, dental hygienists, and of course, our doctors, that truly love what they do and reflect that through their outward attitudes. A simple, warm smile can change someone’s day, and we promote that here. There is more to our staff than just smiley faces; each and every person that works at Parker Dentistry Facial Rejuvenation and Wellness, is competent and specialized in their unique position to provide you with exceptional service every single time you visit us.
- The Tradition of Excellence Continues Dr. Tom Parker, Dr. Steve Parker, and all of our staff welcome the newest addition to the team, Dr. Blake Parker. Dr. Blake is a very recent graduate from the prestigious dental program at the University of Florida and is ready to come in and work side by side with his father and grandfather to continue to uphold the tradition and growth of excellence as part of the Parker practice and family.
- Facial Rejuvenation and Wellness Through listening to our patients, the facial rejuvenation and wellness aspect of Parker Dentistry was born and has continued to growth. We offer Restylane, Juvederm, Radiasse, Botox, and Dysport to our patients, as well as HydraFacials and high-end skin care products to help prevent and reduce the signs of aging. We specialize in the mouth and the face and through our expertise in those areas we are able to help you shine from the inside and out.
- Superior Insurance Experts We joke, but in a serious way, that we have our very own insurance guru! Chris is the champion for helping you find the best insurance benefits. She is always there with a smiling face and eager to help you with all of your insurance needs.
- Affordable Dentistry We want to help you with all of your dentistry needs, whether functional or cosmetic, and we understand that comes with a price, sometimes higher than other times. We offer personal payment plans and will work with your specific financial situation to ensure that you are able to receive the treatment you need and deserve.
- Mmmm it smells so good! Everyone knows that sterile doctor’s office smell; the one that reminds you of where you are and evokes memories of shots and cold hands. You can thank the lovely scent of eugenal for those associative memories. When you walk in our door it smells like sugar cookies! What types of memories do you associate with sugar cookies?
Thank you for sharing a smile with us today! Next week, I will post our first question of the month, so make sure you check in on Facebook.