We’ve spent the last couple of weeks talking about different types of natural oils and how and why they are beneficial to the overall health and appearance of your skin. We’ve also touched on how omega 3, 6, and 9, when applied topically, can help protect, heal, revive, and ease the effects of time on your skin. But did you know that natural and essential oils also have a wide range of other uses and benefits? We though it was befitting to share you with some surprising ways you can incorporate essential oils into your every day life.
Essential oils and your body
- Alleviate a headache. A mix of peppermint, eucalyptus, and lavender oil does wonders for a headache. Place these oils behind your ears, on the back of your neck, on your forehead, or underneath your nose.
- Boost your immune system. Oregano oil is a natural immunity booster.
- Cure nausea. Ginger, in all of its forms, is one of the best cures for nausea.
- Detoxify your body. Taking a bath with Epsom salt mixed with rosemary and juniper oil is a great detoxifier.
- Eliminate germs. A mixture of equal parts cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon, and rosemary combined in a spray bottle with water is a delicious way to de-germ.
- Free your airways. If you are feeling congested in your head, sinuses, and or chest, rub some eucalyptus and lavender oil mixed with a carrier oil like coconut oil on your chest, temples, or underneath your nose for relief.
- Loosen up muscles and joints. A hot bath with Epsom salt and eucalyptus, sage, and basil oil will soothe sore muscles and joints.
- Reduce a fever. Adding equal parts of sage, frankincense, and peppermint, eucalyptus, pine, or rosemary to a warm bath will help ease a fever.
- Take the edge off menstrual cramps. Massage into the abdomen and then cover with a warm compress for fifteen minutes one part sage, basil, or rosemary oil with a carrier oil to reduce the severity of cramps.
Essential oils and your mind
- Promote total relaxation. Add chamomile, lavender, or bergamot oil to your bath to induce a state of relaxation.
- De-stress. A few drops of basil, grapefruit, or peppermint oil into a candle or oil diffuser is a wonderful way to help unwind at the end of the day.
- Remain alert. Any combination of sage, lemon, peppermint, lemongrass, basil, or frankincense oil will help to keep you alert when you are studying, working, or driving home after a long day.
- Brighten your mood. Lavender, rose, ylang ylang, chamomile, and orange oil all help to lighten up your mood.
So, not only can natural oils help to promote healthy and radiant skin, but they can also help to alleviate some of our most common aliments. Nature is truly awesome.